Question about GHG Emissons for a Student Housing Company

Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding the calculation of GHG emissions for a company that rents out student housing. They want to know how to account for the energy consumption of student rooms and common areas while using the operational control approach.

The company owns the building and selects the energy contracts but does not have control over the students’ consumption.

Should they include all energy consumption from the student rooms under Scope 1 and 2, or does this fall under Scope 3, Category 13 (downstream leased assets)? Additionally, how should they account for the energy consumption of the common areas like common kitchen, gym or swimming pool?

What are your thoughts on this? Any insights would be appreciated!

Hi Jelte

In my opinion using the operational control approach all emissions have to be reported under downstream leased assets.

Kind regards
Jens Vancoppenolle
Carbon Footprint & Sustainability Consultant
Neutrologic

Hi Jens,

Thank you for your response; it aligns well with my thoughts. I was hoping to get your opinion on how to handle common areas in this context. For instance, in the case of a swimming pool that is continuously filtered and heated, even when students aren’t using it, the company seems to have operational control over the energy use. It could potentially implement measures to reduce consumption, which raises the question of whether this would fall under Scope 1 or 2.

In contrast, for areas like a common kitchen, where students control the use of appliances such as the stove and oven, it feels more appropriate to categorize this differently, perhaps still under Scope 3. How would you approach these distinctions when applying the operational control approach?

I look forward to your thoughts.